Previous photo pair1930 - 2010: Glaciated Lowlands near Wonder Lake42/53Next photo pair
Anderson Farm photo pair
Photo Credits: B00-7-39 (Anchorage Museum) (1930), Tamás Szerényi (2010)
Ecoregion: Alaska Range Mountains
Change Type: Changing treelines
Changing treelines
Description:
This photo pair features the site of the Anderson Roadhouse and Fox Farm. John and Paula Anderson arrived to the Kantishna area in 1918 after crossing the Alaska Range via sled dog team, and by 1921 had settled here, near the outlet stream at the mouth of Wonder Lake. They ran a roadhouse (the largest building in the earlier photo) to cater to folks going to and from the Kantishna mining district, and also garnered income by trapping, selling sled dogs and foxes. The Andersons left Alaska in 1929 and sold their property to the National Park Service in 1942. Over the 80 year period captured in this photo pair there has been an increase in the amount of shrubs on the knoll in the background. There also are many more spruce. Some spruce may have been taken for construction or heating of the structures, but looking towards the right base of the knoll, a pattern of scattered spruce amongst lichen (light colored) patches is evident. In the 2010 photo, the pattern appears to be less scattered spruce mixed with dwarf birch and blueberry.